East Asian Studies at Trinity
One Trinity Place,
San Antonio, Texas 78212-7200
Career Areas for East Asian Studies majors
- Academic research and teaching
- International businesses with operations in East Asia. As a rule, companies hire by their own procedures. Start by developing your own goals in consultation with your professors or the Trinity Career Services office.
- The Foreign Service of the United States (Careers in diplomacy).
- International NGOs (Non-governmental organizations).
CARE | World Food Programme | UNICEF
- Intelligence community
CIA | Additional options
Post-Graduate short-term experiences involving Asia
- The Fulbright Program (scholarly work leading to graduate study).
- The Fulbright Program (teaching English).
Overview | Countries
- Teaching English in China, Korea, or Japan.
JET Program in Japan | Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program | Fulbright English Program in Korea
- Service in the U.S. Military. Military service, particularly if you already have an Asian language, can be an interesting and rewarding way of acquiring Asia expertise and also paying off your student loans. Locations include Okinawa, Japan main islands, and South Korea, plus PACOM headquarters in Hawaii.
"Direct Commission Officers" get officer rank for having critical skills.
College graduates can join through regular channels, and get officer commissions with some additional military training in the Army, Navy, and Air Force.
- Internships and Volunteer Work.
International Internships | Internships in American Embassies abroad | T.U. Office of Career Services