Year of Jazz Continues in 2012
- Current News Releases
- News Release 2012-2013
- News Release Archive
- In the Media
- Campus Events
- Social Media
- In Memoriam
For the Media
- Trinity Magazine
- Trinitonian - Student Newspaper
- KRTU - Campus Radio Station
- LeeRoy - Daily Campus News
For Our Community
Dec. 20, 2011
Year of Jazz Continues in 2012
KRTU-FM’s ambitious celebration promises several entertaining events including tributes to Miles Davis and Parisian Jazz
The celebration is a unique collaboration between KRTU and several arts and cultural organizations in San Antonio. Each month a different organization hosts a jazz themed event at their venue. Although the focus is local, the Year of Jazz has caught the attention of JazzTimes, a national music publication which wrote glowingly of the celebration in an article about the San Antonio jazz scene.
If the first three events are any indication, variety will be a major theme for the Year of Jazz. The kick-off held in October was an all-day event held at the Sunken Gardens Theater in Brackenridge Park and featured a reading by San Antonio mayor Julián Castro, and the world premiere of the San Antonio Jazz Suite.
The second event in November was more intimate: a concert by Mexican jazz pianist Olivia Revueltas held at the Instituto Cultural de Mexico. Revueltas told the audience stories from her life and of her love of jazz at the standing room only event.
In December, the third event was the staging of El Corrido de Chuy, an original local production, with live jazz accompaniment, performed by Teatro Alaz, the theatre group at Say Si, an organization serving San Antonio's youth.
The Year of Jazz will continue in 2012 with:
- Jan. 14 - "Westside Horns Live in Concert". Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center, 1300 Guadalupe St., at 8 p.m.
- Feb. 11 - "Celebration of Black History Month" with a 1950s tribute to Miles Davis featuring Jeff Lofton. Carver Community Cultural Center, 226 N. Hackberry St., at 8 p.m.
- March 23 - "Art in the Garden" opening with John Magaldi and the Primetime Jazz Orchestra, with Richie Cole. The San Antonio Botanical Garden, 555 Funston Pl., at 6:30 p.m.
- April 13 - "A Tribute to Parisian Jazz" featuring the music of Django Reinhardt with Polly Harrison and her All-Star Hot Sextet. Southwest School of Art, 300 Augusta St., at 7:30 p.m.
- May 13 - "Mother's Day with the Three Divas" with Bett Butler, Joan Carroll, and Katchie Cartwright. Witte Museum, 3801 Broadway, at 4 p.m.
- June 3 - "The Kris Kimura Quintet Live in Concert." Artpace, 445 N. Main Ave., at 2 p.m.
- July 1 - "Family Day" with the King William Jazz Collective. San Antonio Museum of Art, 200 W. Jones Ave., at 1 p.m.
- Aug. 26 - "Summer Jazz and Lunch" with Joan Carroll and Footprints. McNay Art Museum, 6000 N. New Braunfels, at 12:30 p.m.
- Sept. 22-23 - "JAZZ'SALIVE" San Antonio's annual jazz concert at Travis Park.
- Sept. 29 - "Henry Brun and the Latin Playerz Live in Concert." The Culinary Institute of America,312 Pearl Parkway, at 4 p.m.
Details for the Year in Jazz Grand Finale, which will take place Sunday, Oct. 7, at Trinity University, are still being decided; however, the world renowned Jim Cullum Jazz Band has been confirmed as participating in the event.
The monthly performances are not the only component of the Year in Jazz celebration. Starting in January and continuing monthly, the San Antonio Children's Museum will have an exhibit to highlight a key musical instrument that will be part of that month's event. Musicians will come to the museum to play at the exhibit and KRTU will join in to give some of the jazz history of the instrument.
For those who are unable to attend the Year of Jazz performances, KRTU will record each one for broadcast the Friday following the event at noon and at 6 p.m. In addition, KRTU plans to select performances from each event and include them in a CD to be released at the end of the year-long celebration.
All events are free to supporters of KRTU and members of the participating arts and cultural organizations. For more information, go to the Year of Jazz website at yearofjazz.org.