Study Abroad and Off Campus Study | FAQs

Bookmark and Share

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can go abroad?

Students should have a 2.75 GPA at the time of their first appointment with Study Abroad staff in order to begin applying to study abroad programs. Additionally, there is an expectation to maintain at least a 2.75 GPA in order to maintain eligibility for study abroad. The higher your GPA the more options of programs you will have.  There are some accomodations available for those in majors that require study abroad. Also, you must not be on general probation or have been suspended for conduct related issues. For those that do not currently meet the GPA requirement: we encourage you to attend a First Steps Presentation or contact us directly with your questions.  

When can I go abroad?

Most students study abroad during the junior year, although a number of seniors also participate. Permission is required to study abroad for a semester before the junior year. Summer study may be pursued at any time.

Where can I go?

"Where" you study is decided by "what" your academic, personal, and professional goals require and for "what" you qualify. In just the last three years, Trinity students have studied in over 35 different countries.

Can I go if I don't speak another language?

Yes. There are many opportunities for study in English, even in countries where English is not the primary language. Although one of your goals may be to learn another language (or just to improve your skills in one you have already studied), advanced language study is not a prerequisite for all countries.

What do I study?

Students from every discipline have studied abroad. Most students take at least one course in their major, and many pursue work toward their minor and the Common Curriculum. Students have done everything from regular university courses, to biological field research, to academic internships.

Do I get credit for this?

Students will earn at least elective credit for all academic courses successfully completed as long as there is no duplication of work previously completed. The program and elective credit must be approved in writing before an application is mailed. Then individual courses may be approved on a course-by-course basis for major, minor, or Common Curriculum credit.

How much will this cost?

Often the cost for tuition, room, and board for a semester abroad is about the same as for a semester at Trinity. However, there are large variations in both directions. For instance, studying in London will probably cost considerably more than Trinity while studying in Eastern Europe or parts of Latin America will probably cost less.

What about financial aid?

In general, most financial aid - to include Trinity academic scholarships - may be applied to an approved semester or academic year of Study Abroad or Special Studies Semester in the US. However, very little, if any, aid is available for summer study. Outside scholarships will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may ultimately require permission from the sponsor. More information about Financial Aid.

When do I start?

Visit the International Programs Office in your first semester to begin long-range planning. Detailed advising begins a year before you intend to go abroad. Students who want to study abroad for a semester or Academic Year should file an Intent to Study Abroad form by December 1st of the previous year. (Summer study is exempt.) The Trinity deadline for submission of all applications is October 25 (for Spring) and March 25 (for Summer, Fall, and Academic Year). Some programs and institutions have earlier deadlines.

Trinity student Courtney Ng smiles widely with the Eiffel Tower in the background during while she studied abroad in Paris.